Monday, March 14, 2011

From Laura

Right now, I'm looking through a collection of crayon rainbows, flowers, horses, houses, hearts, suns, cats, cars, and smiling brown stick figures that my kindergarten class drew for me on my last day in the Tuba City Boarding School. These colorful pictures are probably one of the best gifts I've ever received. At first, I was nervous and had no idea what to expect, but the kids warmed up to me quickly and soon I was reading them stories, showing them how to make paper snowflakes, and answering their questions about where I live.

Another part of the trip that stood out to me was the landscape. The mountains, the canyons, the night sky, the sunrises, the sunsets, even the dirt was other worldly and incredibly beautiful. I was constantly dragging around one to three cameras and I wound up shooting five rolls of film, and running out of space on my digital camera's memory card. My favorite places that we visited were the sweat lodge and Coal Mine Canyon. Even though I didn't do the sweat lodge (too many piercings that I can't take out), I still had an amazing night. A couple of us went hiking and over the mountains in the distance there was the best sunset I've seen in my entire life. While the sky was burning Rob Meier had us all stop moving and talking and listen to something we don't often get a chance to hear: total silence. Coal Mine Canyon, although I felt like I was in a wind tunnel, was incredible.

The different colored layers of rock, the soft, rich dirt, and the deep blue sky with clouds that echoed the shapes in the rocks made it, in my opinion, the most breathtaking place we saw. I guess I’m glad to be home to my own bed and hot showers, but I really miss it there. Waking up surrounded by friends, the bonfires, that amazing red dirt, are all things that I miss and will forever remember about our trip to Tuba City.

No comments:

Post a Comment