Monday, March 21, 2011

From Andy W.

I had a different experience at the boarding school than the others in our group. While many of them were working with younger children who stayed with them the whole day, I was working with the older grades (6-8), who had 6 periods and rotated between classes. I was working with Mr. Q, a music teacher from the Hopi nation. Right off the bat I noticed a huge difference in the music curriculum in Tuba City and in Arlington. In Arlington we were analyzing folk songs and learning about Beethoven and other classical masterminds while in Tuba City the students were learning how to play guitar. I thought that this was great because they were having fun and actually learning how to play a useful musical instrument. Learning to play an instrument is great because you can use it to connect to other people from serenading a group to jamming with fellow musicians who may not even speak your language. Mr. Q told the class that you can communicate using the language of music. I really enjoyed my time in the class because I got to demonstrate what a saxophone sounded like. I was able to improvise for them and show them what they could accomplish if they pursued music. Mr. Q had high energy and handled his classes well. He taught each of them slightly differently based on their difficulties,  and was able to incorporate me into his lessons which was a blast. It was a win-win situation because i got to play my sax, and they got exposed to Jazz, a form of music that they probably hadn't heard much of.

No comments:

Post a Comment